Do you know the best treatment?

Most of us in our life will have been bitten or stung by an insect or bug.

In most cases they are minor, causing just general discomfort.

However, some stings are more serious and can even involve poisoning. Multiple stings, or those causing anaphylactic reaction (read more about this here) can lead to a life-threatening first aid emergency.


If you have attended a SkillBase First Aid course, you should use your emergency plan to manage an anaphylactic emergency. Join a First Aid course today! 


  • Reassure the casualty, especially a child, it can be a scary experience to be stung or bitten as a child!
  • Bee and wasp stings can be scraped off, a credit card is a good way of doing this. It is best not to use tweezers, as this often makes the sting worse.
  • Wash the affected area with lots of soap and water.
  • Gently apply a cold compress for at least 10 minutes.
  • If possible, elevate the bite/sting site.
  • Avoid scratching the area, to reduce risk of infection.

Pain, swelling to itchiness can often last a few days. Ask your pharmacist about medicines that can help. If you are concerned or need advice contact NHS 111 for advice. 

If the casualty experiences any breathing difficulty, dial 999 for an ambulance and be prepared to use your emergency plan.


Whilst we hope you never need to use it, it is unthinkable to us that you might not know what to do in an emergency… that’s why we are proud to be the hero-makers at SkillBase First Aid – providing a wide range of First Aid training to ensure you would know what to do in any emergency. Find out more about SkillBase First Aid training here!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *