Covid-19 related information – Updated 5th January 2021
5th January 2021 – National Lockdown Updates
We are still running all scheduled courses as First Aid continues to be vital training that saves lives both in and out of the workplace.
If you are booked onto a face-to-face course and are no longer able to attend training, please call us as soon as possible on 0330 335 1234. If you have been furloughed, you may still be able to attend training, see here for more details.
We are currently developing online blended training courses for physical first aid, please get in touch if you would like to find out more. You can call the team on 0330 335 1234 or email us email@example.com
See all our updated measures for training below.
31 December – New Tier Announcements
Following the new tier announcements yesterday from the government, we wanted to reassure you of the rigorous Covid-secure measures we have in place.
During the recent November lockdown we successfully provided all our training in a Covid-secure way, and we will continue to run ALL training courses from the 4th of January 2021. We constantly monitor guidelines and conduct risk assessments across all of our teaching practices and venues.
First Aid courses continue to be educational training that helps save lives both in and out of the workplace.
You can see all our updated measures below in line with government and Public Health England guidance.
2 November – Second National Lockdown Announcement
Following the recent government news regarding England’s lockdown, we wanted to let you know all our first aid training courses are still going ahead as planned. We will be reviewing all our training in the coming days and adhering to guidelines, we will continue to update this page.
Please see below for all our Covid-19 implemented safety measures for training with SkillBase First Aid.
We have implemented oodles of measures to help keep you and our team safe
First Aid training is essential and we are ready to support your training needs.
Our aim is to keep our relaxed, friendly, and fun elements to our training courses alongside strong risk management procedures, to keep you and our staff as safe as possible.
It’s inevitable that our courses had to change, here’s how our training will be a little different:
- We have a limited number of delegates per course to maintain social distancing in all our venues
- We have strict standards of handwashing for all delegates and trainers
- Both trainers and delegates are required to wear face coverings when entering our training venues and moving around the building
- We can still come to you for group courses, we just need to work together on the risk assessment. This will include social distancing and infection control measures at your place (all easily resolved over the phone)
- We maintain rigorous cleaning protocols in venues and for all equipment
- Delegates receive their own individual equipment to use throughout the practical elements of the courses
- Delegates are positioned in the training room to have a 2m plus distance between each other
- On all our open courses, delegates have sole use of a manikin, thoroughly cleaned before and after use
- We have additional props for delegates to use so they do not need to work with other delegates during practical activities
- We still aim for our courses to be fun and have made them as interactive as possible
- We have made changes to the course content to include additional video demonstrations to ensure delegates still leave their course feeling confident as well as competent
- All delegates who show symptoms of COVID-19 or who have been asked to self-isolate due to NHS track and trace etc. must not attend the course.
If you’re unsure about what to expect on one of our courses, hear from some of our delegates who recently attended a First Aid course: What To Expect On Your Training Course During The COVID-19 Pandemic:
HSE Guidelines for First Aid (updated 5 November 2020)
As an employer, when reviewing your risk assessment to include Covid safety, you will first need to look at your work needs assessment.
Check with your current first aiders if there are new circumstances to take into consideration, for example, working from home, working with PPE, or any vulnerable workers that are currently first aiders.
Take a look at our handy video guide to performing CPR under Covid safety measures.
First Aid Cover
Having reviewed your first aid needs assessment, you will know whether you can still provide the cover needed for employees who are still in the workplace.
If you have fewer employees than normal coming in to work, you may be able to operate safely with reduced first aid cover.
You may also be eligible to share the first aiders of another business under a temporary cover agreement.
First Aid Certificate Extensions
First Aid at Work (FAW) or Emergency First Aid at Work (EFAW) certificates can now remain valid 6 months from date of expiry. All requalification training for these certificates should be completed by 31 March 2021.
This guidance now applies to employers in England, Scotland and Wales.
First Aid Training – face to face
HSE still strongly recommends that FAW, EFAW and requalification courses are delivered face to face, so that competency of the student can be properly assessed.
Can we train whilst on furlough?
Short answer is Yes.
Training whilst on furlough is a great opportunity and use of employee time. As long as the training is not directly making the organisation any money, it is allowed, and should not affect the furlough wage – read more about the Government guidelines over on our First Aid Training Whilst on Furlough
We have launched our online Mental Health First Aid Course
We are delighted to share with you our new online courses in Mental Health. Before you jump on board and book these courses, it is important to note – these are not your ordinary ‘online courses’ with pre-recorded sessions. They are live instructor-led courses bringing the classroom-based activities to life via a specialist Online Learning Hub. Courses are accredited and certified by MHFA England (the only licensed provider in ‘Mental Health First Aid’ in England). Find out more about our Mental Health Courses.
Need to see our Covid-19 Risk Assessments?
- For all our customers who have booked a group training session at your own place or at your own hired venue, see our risk assessment here
- For our customers who have booked on an open course at our Desford, Leicestershire Training centre, see our risk assessment here
- For our customers who have booked on an open course at our Newbold Verdon, Leicestershire training centre, see our risk assessment here
- For our customers who have booked on an open course at our Northampton training centre, see our risk assessment here
24 June – We’re back to help train your team in Practical First Aid
Whilst we recover from this pandemic, as a country together, safety is the top priority for us at SkillBase. Our team is working harder than ever behind the scenes and we are proactively responding to the Government and industry guidelines.
The Government has started to ease ‘lockdown’ measures for the country, so we have been able to work on our plan to open up training courses for you.
We want you to know that we appreciate your patience and if you have any concerns we are here! We are looking forward to getting back to doing what we do best. We have missed training you and we are certainly looking forward to being around people again (at a safe distance of course).
Great to know – requalification deadline extended (updated 3 November 2020)
You may already know this, you may not! But we wanted to give you the heads up. For those that have struggled to requalify due to the Covid-19 outbreak, the kindly folks over at the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) have extended the expiry of First Aid certificates that expired on or after 16th March 2020, or 6 months from date of expiry, whichever is later. Check if you’re eligible for a certificate extension here. However, you will need to seek requalification before this date. To avoid further delay in requalification, get in touch today to get yourselves booked in or you can book online.