World Mental Health Day was first observed on 10 October 1992 as an annual activity of the World Federation for Mental Health aimed at promoting mental health advocacy and educating the public on relevant issues. Celebrated on the 10th of October, it provides an opportunity to place the spotlight on the mental health challenges experienced in our world today.
Here at SkillBase First Aid we know that one day is not sufficient when it comes to making real change for mental health awareness, but it is certainly a great place to start – let’s continue on with momentum!
8 Things to try in the workplace!
- Host a webinar for employees discussing the importance of mental health, why not find a guest speaker to join?
- Create a graphic and circulate to employees highlighting key crisis numbers or charities for people who might be struggling with their mental health
- Encourage employees to share personal experiences of mental health via a blog post or e-newsletter
- Create a walk and talk group!
- Coffee and chat? Host a coffee morning, you can do this either in person or online, another great way to open up a conversation.
- Share your current initiatives within the organisation, with any potential new additions, how many of your employees know what is available to them?
- Organise a time to share highlights of the week/month in teams, a chance to recognise and congratulate to build team morale and confidence.
- Try an early finish on a Friday, explain the reason for this flexibility and remember, the long-term impact will outweigh the short-term doubt.
We’d love to hear from you if your workplace has any great initiatives that you think we should share on this list! Pop it in the comments below.
Training for employees
With 1 in 5 employees experiencing moderate to high levels of stress, it is crucial to look at how you can support, educate and empower your employees with training.
Our training is designed to reduce stigma and teach practical skills that can be used every day in the workplace. It teaches people how to spot the signs and symptoms of mental ill-health and provide help on a first aid basis.
Here at SkillBase First Aid we provide Fundamental Wellbeing courses available online and as group training, or we can come to you wherever you are in England! We also offer bespoke training, Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) and talks. Get in touch today to find out how we can support your organisation.
You can also book in a free consultation to consult with you and your organisation on strategy, implementing mental health training and all wellbeing-related policies.
However you do it, just do it!
You don’t have to be experts to talk about mental health, it’s something we all have, just as we all have physical health. So talk, listen and be open-minded.